I was very fortunate to be included among some awesome artists to submit artwork for a Star Wars "coffee table" book. From what I gather, it is just a really cool book of Star Wars art by all your favorite illustrators including Greg Manchess, Donato Giancola, Alex Ross, and others. While my artwork made it to the final round, it was not chosen for inclusion in the book. I had very little time to complete the artwork, and from what the AD said via email, it seems it was not included as Mr. Lucas had enough artwork for the book. I beat the deadline, but I guess I submitted after too many all-stars :) Oh well, it was nice to be included in the process!
Here are some kind words from the AD:
"I just heard that for whatever reason it was not accepted for the book. I am sorry as you know this was a personal choice by George himself and he does not give reasons. He did say that he would consider it for future possibilities and for possible limited editions...Sorry man - I know it does not help but I really loved your piece and was shocked about the news. I would love to work together on future projects..."
Sketch:
Final Art:

Enjoy the Day,
Chris
Really, it's their loss. Is it real paint? Someone will be happy to buy it if it is.
ReplyDeleteHi Charlene!
ReplyDeleteSadly, no its a digital piece done at a huge resolution :) I'm wondering how it would work if I wanted to sell prints. I mean since its a licensed character and all. I guess its ok since you see all these folks selling licensed character art in galleries and online?
that WILL be somebody's gain. wow. great shadows and textures here Chris
ReplyDeleteThanks, peter! I am starting to play with more textures just to break up flat space a bit. I think it funny how I used to want everything flat, but now I am I guess "growing" out of that?
ReplyDeleteWhat a shame! This piece is beautiful. Thank you so much for posting the pencils and the final piece. It's definitely a treat.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words, Oran! I hope to explore Boba Fett some more in a few action-oriented pieces. He is very gun to draw!
ReplyDelete