Sketch (took about 20 hours including shooting ref):
The final art took around 55-60 hours as I'm pretty slow when it comes to digitally nailing a likeness; I find it hard to translate the sketch into shapes when it has to look like a specific person (generic faces out of my head are so much easier to light). So I sit there for hours per head:
Tweak this. Tweak that.
Raise this. Lower that.
Stretch this. Squash that.
(Repeat 1,256,489,364,497.7325 times.)
A helpful hint in likenesses is to nail down the triangle formed by their pupils and tip of the nose; I read this somewhere and it really does help; I suppose its because that is the area we look at the most on a person's face, and it is subconsciously filed away in our minds (face-recognition technology: in your brain).
The bodies go much quicker, although with this particular group, everyone needed VERY specific uniform patches, logos, etc. In the initial final art, everyone was wearing a generic Puma shoe based off of my own pair. Well, that is a big no-no, ladies and gentlemen. I had to revise all the shoes so that SI wouldn't have the players' sponsors calling them up with complaints! ( It had happened to the Craig, the AD, before!)
Spread-layout (close-ups of players are below):




As a bonus (literally), they decided to run the art on the cover!
And finally, here is a diagram I also did for the same issue. Not shown here, each player was featured on a page with bio/photo, etc; included on each page was this little diagram (about 2x2) with that player in color and the rest silhouetted. Here you get to see them all in one tiny image.
A very generic sketch (since it was to be so small, we weren't worrying about details at this point):
Thanks to Craig for hanging in there on this beast of an assignment! While it was a ton of work, it was a great project to take part in, and I look forward to future collaborations with a magazine I worshipped as a kid.
Enjoy the Day,
Chris




What a dream gig! Congratulations. Incredible work getting all those details just right.
ReplyDeleteWOW. incredible work as always and congratulations on the cover!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is Fantastic Chris! As a huge soccer fan, I'm really really loving this. This is something I would totally hang on my wall as a poster! Congrats on the great assignment and the brilliant execution!
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! Sorry for the lack of posts this month; I've just been swamped with the new place, seeing old friends, and of course work, work, work!
ReplyDelete