Uncle Slam

Hello, folks!

Here's a quick piece I did recently about how U.S. players are not doing well in their own tournaments. The ADs wanted to run an image with a commentary about how we always lose the Grand Slam. They had the concept in place, and so I was to parody J.M. Flagg's Uncle Sam with a golf visor. In hindsight, I think the image would have worked better with the classic golf hat (the kind with a poofy ball on top), but time is always a factor. Perhaps I'll redo the hat for myself, though.

Sketch:

It was hard to turn Flagg's beautiful gestural pint strokes into flat shapes, but I think it holds up. I always look forward to new challenges within the medium, and I would have never though I would be translating washy strokes into crisp vector.

Final :


Also, did you know Flagg's "I want YOU" poster is actually a spoof of a British poster?







And finally, it crosses my mind how our generations are still using this old archetype to represent our United States. Do we not have our own embodiment of America? Perhaps that is on the horizon with all of the social unrest we've experienced over the past year...

Thanks for reading!

Enjoy the Day,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment