Sketches:
Heh, I really liked this sketch! I think it was the lighting; seems like it would have been fun to take to final. However, I think it was a bit too much for the art director; also, my girlfriend said it was a little over the top. Well, you should have seen it before I photoshopped out the blood. I have yet to illustrate a piece with a snake! This has to happen at some point.
And the same could be said for this sketch. I was really happy with my body language on this one as well as the hanky in his pocket. Was a bit too violent? But it's metaphorical violence! No? Ok...
This is the sketch that the art director chose, and I can understand why. In the previous post about this article, I cited how the art director thought I had a way of delivering concepts in a dramatic but palpable manner. This sketch is subtle and still dramatic, an approach I think is often best. As such, I try to offer a sketch of this type in every assignment.Initially, the sketch was just Sam, and I added the reaching hands at the end as I felt it just needed something to represent the middle class victims (you and me) of the economic storm. I also like the play of scale between such small figures and a giant Uncle Sam that cannot help them.
Just to be clear, I was happy to illustrate any of the above sketches; I think all illustrators have their favorites when submitting concepts, and I am always happy to take any of my ideas to finish!
Final Artwork:
I slightly adjusted the cover art :) The masthead was overlapping Uncle Sam's head, and I reversed it for sake of the portfolio. Thanks for reading!Enjoy the Day,
Chris
love that snake idea
ReplyDeleteThanks, Pete. You and me both. Maybe someday it will be appropriate for an other article. Although, maybe that would be a bad thing if it means more economic strife!
ReplyDeleteWOW! those top 2 sketches are intense! i would love to see those bravely executed! the final is great too though, a wonderful companion piece to the wall street crutch last year. let's hope next year rounds out a trilogy -- with a happy ending!
ReplyDelete