Gay Republicans

Well, here is something a little different for you. Back before the elections, I was contacted to do a cover; they were running an interview with Matt Salmon, homosexual son of former Arizona senator Matt Salmon.The interview is a look into his life as a gay republican and his plans to enter politics.

The art director was looking for something very iconic, and he requested I work with the elephant and rainbow symbols. Sketches:

The final solution:

That is one big pink cover; seriously. When I got the tearsheet, I think it burned my retinas. But it works, and you see it from miles away :) I liked the challenge of working with basically logos to create a concept; some folks say this looks nothing like my work, and I'm fine with that. My focus is on delivering art that meets an article's need and not on my own self satisfaction. Luckily, I get both out of my commissions!

I added this to the portfolio, but I am unsure if it will remain there or end up in the Archives. Well, technically, everything will probably end up in the Archives. But anyway, it is very different from my usual approach in terms of concept and color palette. But I like it; it makes me smile. So for now, it serves as a reminder to try new things; hopefully, this will result in more assignments outside the norm as well.

Thanks for readin'!
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment